Friday, June 6, 2008

Cowboy Up!

Last night I went to my first official Rodeo, The Gladewater Round Up. Seeing as how the Rodeo is an integral part of Texas culture...I braided my hair, squeezed into some wranglers, and topped off my outfit with a ten-gallon hat. (Okay, not really...only the braiding my hair part is true.)

And as it turns out, the Rodeo is pretty darn fun! Here's just few of my thoughts concerning the evening's highlights...

-The Grand Entry: lots of pretty horses, my personal fav:
The Pink and Black one...it's not everyday you see a horse like this!

-Saddle Bronc Riding: Loved it! The only thing sobering thing about this event was thinking about how much pain the riders were going to be in the next day.


-Tie-down roping & Steer Wrestling: Not a fan of either of these events. I can appreciate the athleticism involved, but no matter how much Tai insisted the steers weren't hurt in the process of being wrestled or roped to the ground, it still looked brutal to me.

-Mutton Bustin' and Barrell Racing: Equally entertaining events involving the female riders and kids.

-Bareback Riding: If I thought the saddle bronc riding looked painful, this was in a whole different league!

-Bull Riding: I realize this is going to make me sound quite ignorant, but until last night I didn't know what actually made the bulls try to buck off their rider. I guess it's a good thing I am living in Texas in order to expand my cultural awareness. If anyone else is a clueless as I was, my husband will be happy to enlighten you.

So, at the end of the night after all the cattle had been rounded up, the muttons busted, the riders trampled, and the barrells raced...I can only conclude that the fondest memory I am taking away from the Gladewater Round-up is this:




The mini-cowboy! It doesn't get any better than this!

7 comments:

Anna said...

SOUNDS LIKE SO MUCH FUN!!! I LOVE THAT YOU ARE BRANCHING OUT AND LEARNING ABOUT NEW CULTURES!!! YOU ARE SO AWESOME!!!

Conlin Family said...

My first rodeo wasn't until I moved here either. Don't worry you aren't the only naive one...I didn't know the reason behind the bulls bucking either until my first rodeo! I would cringe everytime a rider got bucked off and I didn't like the calf roping either..it made me sad to see them get tied up! We should go together next time...and you really should wear some tight wranglers and a cowboy hat and don't forget the boots!

Mia said...

Where is the picture of the hair braiding? I almost died when I thought you really wore wranglers! I went to a rodeo (or two or three or more) every year of my life until I was 13...I even even rode a sheep (called mutton bustin') when I was little. Congrats on the rodeo. Welcome to Texas!

Mia said...

By the way, the "fierce" pose is so Christian Siriano! (Project Runway) You just need the sskinny little black vest and some "fiercer" hair.

Kari Ann said...

This is awesome! I wish you really would have worn wranglers and a hat too. Rodeos are awesome! Is our California girl going cowboy?..this questions is for Tai.

Brittany said...

Hey I am going private and need your e-mail address. You can comment on my blog with it, and I won't publish the comment so no one will see your e-mail address.

Brooke said...

So I guess moving away from Clovis wasn't enough to get away from the rodeo. :) Miranda I'm glad I found you! It sounds like you are doing great in Texas...when do you plan on moving back to California? Hopefully we can stay reconnected this time around....