Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Y'ike's Part II: The Aftermath

This past weekend, Hurricane Ike was a little bit less friendly to our neighborhood than Hurricane Gustav had been over labor day. When Ike swept through Longview it was only a tropical storm, but it was unlike any storm I had ever seen. Honestly, if I had known it wasn't causing so much devastation, I may have actually really enjoyed it.


Everyone enjoyed watching the storm. Especially Screech. He decided he needed to experience the hurricane first hand and ran out in the front yard, sat under a tree for a few minutes, and then sprinted back inside.


We lost Power about 5pm on Saturday. Still, this was only a minor setback for Tai...there was NO way he was missing the BYU/UCLA game. Before I knew it he had hooked up the generator and had the TV in our bedroom up and running. The power was completely off in the rest of the house, but the TV was spared. Tai is such a dedicated fan.


Church was completely cancelled on Sunday due to the large number of evacuees taking up shelter in our building. (Another Sunday School lesson skipped-yes!) As far as our trip to Galveston next week is concerned---it seems IMPOSSIBLE we will still be able to go-- even though yesterday expedia told me that our hotel plans to be up and running by Friday. After looking at pictures like this, I would have to say that statement was...amiss.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Houston.

7 comments:

Anna said...

I can't believe how close you are to such devestation!!
..... BUT yet you have time to make the most ADORABLE card to send me for Mary!!! What an awesome surprise to find in the mail today!! You are so thoughtful and so creative! Thank you so much Mir! you are such a great friend!

Brittany said...

Thast is some serious rain comnig down. Glad to hear you and Tai are ok.

So a littl eupdate. Brett and I are in Rexburg for another 4 months. My sister lives in Houston along with all of Brett's family and my little brother is in College Station, so we make it down to Houston at least once a year.

How long are you and Tai planning on living in Longview?

Brooke said...

Happy Birthday Miranda! It's hard to believe that we are as old as we are. I don't know about you, but I certainly don't feel that old. I still think about the days when we used to live across the street from each other. I think of you every time I drive down Willow past our old houses. Crazy! Anyway, I hope that your day is filled with happy wishes from friends and family and all the things that your heart desires.

Brittany said...

Oh sad I missed your birthday.. well hope it was a goo done.

Ar you going to be in california for Christmas? Brett and I are going to be there form the 16th - 3rd. We would love to see you and Tai.

Jared and Brianne said...

Happy "late" Birthday to you also. You are too sweet! With Michelle now living in Sacramento we need to catch up with each other if we are ever there at the same time!! I check your blog often, and I'm so happy for you and everything that you are doing!! Love, Brianne

Whit and Steve said...

Miranda you're not nice... glad you survived the hurricanes.

https://kushhighlife.com/ said...

nice


pitbull puppies for sale
pitbull puppies for sale
pitbulls for sale

Glock 17 for sale cheap online without License overnight delivery (glockgunstore.com)

glock 30 for sale

uzi pistol for sale

sig sauer p938 for sale

Browning Hi-Power 9mm


weightloss

persian kittens for adoption